Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Wild Reach 100 points for first time in franchise history

The Minnesota Wild reached the 100 point mark for the first time in franchise history, defeating the Edmonton Oilers 3-0 Tuesday night at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. The Wild were again lead by goaltender Nicklas Backstrom, who turned away 25 shots for his 4th shutout of the season.
Mikko Koivu opened the scoring with 4 minutes remaining the 1st period, one-timing a Marian Gaborik pass for his 20th goal of the season, the 4th Wild player to reach that mark on the season (Rolston, Gaborik, Demitra). The Wild dodged a bullet at the beginning of the 2nd period, killing off a 5 on 3 and avoiding a potential disaster.
Someone needs to tell the Wild the longer they keep these weaker teams in it, you're begging for them to get a cheap goal, and keeping me nervous in a game I shouldn't be nervous about. Kurtis Foster (with help from Derek Boogaard's skate) scores with 2:22 left in the 2nd period to give the Wild a 2-0 lead, which stands as the buzzer sounds to end the 2nd.
Branko Radivojevic gives the Wild yet more insurance with 14:09 to play as he comes down with Pavol Demitra on a 2 on 1. He gives Demitra a look, then fires a wrist shot top shelf to beat the Oiler goaltender.

One Man's View
Backstrom, Backstrom, Backstrom. The possible playoff run the Wild can make will rest on his shoulders. The Wild have firepower, and will score goals and if Backstrom can play solid the Wild have to be one of the most feared teams in the Western Conference.
I'm going to talk about something I really don't pay much attention to. Tonight, Derek Boogard absolutely demolished Zach Stortini of the Oilers. After Radio's goal (referring to Radivojevic), Stortini lines up right next to Boogaard at the faceoff circle. They start jawing before the puck is dropped, and you know it's on. Puck drops and so do their gloves. Stortini tries to get in close to Boogaard eliminating his reach advantage, but Boogaard creates separation and lands 3 vicious blows as they both fall to the ice and the referee's step in. My question: Boogaard is 6'7 250 pounds, what makes you think you have a shot in a fight against him? Why do they insist on fighting him? He makes fools out of everyone who fights him.... yet they keep coming back, whatever, I enjoy it!

3 comments:

Corey Ettinger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Corey Ettinger said...

Yeah, apparently stupidity in picking fights extends beyond just bars and drunk people... Have I mentioned that I'm a huge Mikko Koivu fan? Before this season started I stated that he was my hands down favorite player on the Wild for no reason other than his name which I rank in my top 10 in all of sports. It just rolls off the tongue so nicely. My opinion was strengthened when early in the season he helped win a number of shootouts and has proved to be a great player for the Wild this year with 52 points (I think? Yes? No?). I'm a little disappointed in Branko though as from what I heard about him this pre-season I was expecting him to be a much better scorer. Could you tell me more about him? What his strengths and weaknesses are, where he played before, what I can expect in the future? Because honestly, he's someone I've wondered about since day 1.

Nate Rowan said...

Radio came to Minnesota from the Philadelphia Flyers after being waived. Prior to that he was with the Phoenix Coyotes. His career high for points in a season is 27, so he is not a guy who will score you goals, but he will give you a physical presence and shut down opposing team's top lines. Branko has dressed in all 80 games for the Wild so far this season, and has recorded 23 points.